UFO’s

In the quilting world UFOs aren’t sighted in the night sky but in the darkest corners of our sewing rooms. UnFinished Objects lurk at the bottom of scrap bins, in drawers on shelves and anywhere else they can be put and ignored or forgotten. Although I really want to start a new project I know that I have to finish these UFOs first so here comes my pledge:

I will not start a new project until I’ve finished at least one of these projects:

1. The Hexie Rainbow

I love this cushion cover and can’t quite understand why it’s been sitting on my sewing table for the last few months.

2. The Flying Geese

This is the paper pieced pillow I started at the Fat Quarterly Retreat and I really want to finish it as I’m hoping to give it to someone very special soon.

3. The Hexie Heart

This was started while we were on holiday in Ireland and is supposed to be a fundraiser for breast cancer research. All I have to do is stitch it onto some background fabric, quilt it and start selling raffle tickets.

It’s been hard to find some sewing time with the school holidays and the wonderful warm weather we’ve been experiencing. I haven’t seen my sewing machine in the last week or so but feel it’s time to get back into the groove.

You might remember that I also started these wonky log cabin blocks for Little Miss Bossy-Boots but they still feel like a WIP (work in progress) although I haven’t got more than the four I made last week. Let’s hope they won’t turn into UFOs and start lurking in the dark corners. Now, where’s my sewing machine again?

A Birthday Skirt

Little Miss Bossy-Boots is invited to a birthday party tomorrow. Her friend Rebecca is turning four and when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday the answer did surprise me quite a bit:

a new skirt.

Well, Im happy to oblige. When Little Miss Bossy-Boots was still a baby I bought some fabric with the thought of making her a dress. Fast forward three years and the fabric is still here uncut. Or rather ‘was’. Because I turned it into a skirt and hair tie for Rebecca.

I hope she likes it.

 

Not Sure

Last year I bought a layer cake of the same fabrics I’d used for Little Miss Bossy-Boots’ tumbler cushion so that I could make a quilt for her bed. I decided not to make a tumbler quilt as I thought it would be a bit too coordinated. This last few months I’ve been looking at the fabric having no clue what pattern to use. Sunday I did something that is completely out of character for me, I jumped in and just started cutting strips to make wonky log cabin blocks. There was no planning, just taking strips and sewing them together.

I finished the first block and didn’t really like it. Thinking it was too late to change my mind I persevered and made another block. I liked it a bit better and continued. I have now made four blocks and I’m still not sure that I like them. I feel they are rather busy. However, I’m hoping I will like the quilt with a nice neutral sashing and wide border.

Sorry about the bad picture, the weather here is simply atrocious. July? The weather gods must be having a laugh…

What do you do when you don’t like something you’ve started? Do you persevere and finish or do you just put it aside? I really want to finish this quilt for my daughter.

A Rescue and a Finish

What do you do when your daughter’s favourite Barbie loses a leg? You turn her into a mermaid, of course.

I used some red organza leftover from the days when I made theatre costumes at uni. It has a beautiful golden sheen, perfect for making a fish tail.

First I layered the organza with some sew in interfacing and sewed a scallop pattern all over it to mimic scales. I didn’t do a great job but I don’t believe Little Miss Bossy-Boots minds. Then I cut out a mermaid tail shape (is there such a word in the English language?), added a heart shaped fin, sewed it together and turned it right side out. Next I removed the Barbie’s second leg and attached a pipe cleaner to the Barbie to ensure the tail could be moved into different poses. Then I put the pipe cleaner into the tail and added a little wadding to fill out the tail. My last step was to pull the tail over the Barbie’s bottom and hot-glue the tail to the Barbie’s body. Hey presto, a mermaid.

 

In other news Hester, the gorgeous Woodland Portrait by Jo Avery from Bearpaw, is finished!

I wish I’d had a darker blue floss for the name as it is rather difficult to read but it’s not the end of the world. Also, I don’t think this Hester is going to be alone for long, my friend Julie looooves rabbits so one might just make its way to Switzerland…