Do you remember the project I started before I tackled any of my UFOs?
My scrappy Spring Carnival quilt is progressing nicely. I took it with me to Denmark and worked on it while chatting, watching the kids play, in the evening. Basically whenever I had a little time.
I have now started sewing the ‘wheels’ together and I’m so happy with the way they look so far. I still have a bit to go before it’s quilt size but my aim is to finish it for next summer.
14 ‘wheels’ down about 85 to go.
BTW, loved the Aurifil thread for hand sewing around the leaves on my mini quilt. Will write a bit more about my experience with Aurifil when I show you the finished quilt but it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.
I really need to finish this mini quilt now as the mailing window opens in three (!) days. Yesterday I cut out the tree shape and attached it with bondaweb to the ‘field’ next to the road. Next came the leaves. I played around with them for a while before Master said: “Stop!” I ironed them on and left everything to cool down before basting.
I started on the quilting today but wasn’t sure how far I would get as I was fast running out of thread. Luckily, Master went shopping this afternoon so he got some more. I did quite a bit of unpicking as I didn’t like the quilting on the tree trunk or around the leaves.
I have now decided to leave it for today and start on some hand quilting tomorrow trying out some Aurifil for the first time. I’m really excited about it and a bit nervous. What if I’m disappointed after everything I’ve heard and read about the miracle thread that is Aurifil? Come back tomorrow and I’ll tell you what I think.
Have you heard of scrap vomit or technicolour yawn quilts? Katy from I’m a Ginger Monkey (I know, I know) has a great tutorial on her blog. I have been wanting to make a scrap vomit quilt literally from the second I saw a picture of her first one. However, I don’t really have the time or the scraps to start on it yet. I have been cutting all my scraps and some truly ugly fabric into 2,5″ squares for a while now but with 49 squares in each block I still have a long way to go. The solution?
Make a pincushion from Block B.
Now if I had made the block using 2,5″ squares this pincushion would have ended up the size of a small planet. Not very practical. So instead I made it with 1″ squares. Crazy? Yes, but I was nervous as Aron, our lovely 11 year old dog was at the vet’s today to get his teeth cleaned and a few biopsies from some lumps. I really needed to focus on something else and this pincushion did the trick.
There are some fun fabrics in there: an easter egg, an elephant, gloves, a ladybird, a radish, strawberries, a bird, a guitar and a lamb. Not easy to see but you might just get a glimpse of them here and there.
For the back I used some sheep.
If you like this pincushion go check out the scrap vomit appreciation society group’s photo pool on flickr. Who knows, you might want to have a go yourself.
You might remember that I entered the Brit Quilt Swap Round 3. Very early on I started stalking my partner but there wasn’t much to find out. I checked out the flickr page to see what quilts she liked and got quite confused as I felt she didn’t have a specific style that she preferred. So I went back to the email with her preferences and her mosaic. My partner’s style is quite different from mine but that’s part of the fun when you enter a swap.
This is what I have come up with so far:
Autumnal colours and nature are two of the things my partner likes so I’ve decided to make a road that disappears into the distance and a tree. The tree will be raw edge appliqué, something I haven’t got much experience with. This whole little quilt, which should finish at 18″ square, has been so much fun to plan and I’m really enjoying the fact that I’ve come out of my comfort zone and tried something new.
Mailing window opens in nine days so I better get a move on.