I just wanted to show you the finished mini I’m giving away over on Instagram (I’m Lemonshark if you’d like to try your luck).
This little mini was designed and made for the giveaway. I used some of my all time favourite scraps, such as Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt, Architextures by Carolyn Friedlander, Summersville by Lu Summers and some Tula Pink. You can’t go wrong with Tula Pink. The whole thing was pieced and quilted in Aurifil 50wt (no 2600, my favourite). For the quilting I did some stitching in the ditch and echoing as the quilt is busy enough as it is.
It was appliquéd on some grey Essex linen and bound with more of the yummy Tula Pink print I used. This mini mini finishes at 13,5″ and I’m in love with it. It’s going to be a little difficult to give it away but a promise is a promise.
I’m thinking of putting the templates for this mini up on the blog. This will then be the last pattern on here as I’m going to open a shop on Craftsy.
Last Saturday I noticed that I had 297 followers on Instagram (I’m lemonshark on there). I love Instagram because you can easily upload a picture of what you’re working on and get feedback from likeminded people. Anyway, I posted a picture of this number and said I was going to organise a giveaway of an EPP mini once I reached the magic number of 300.
Imagine my surprise when I was tagged by Karie (karietkq on Instagram) who had posted a collage of some of my EPP designs and suggested to her followers that they should follow me. Within half an hour I had ten more followers and by the end of the day 46!
So I sat down and designed this mini:
So far I’ve done the first round and I’m in love with it. I really hope that people will like it too and enter my giveaway. It has some of my favourite designers and fabrics in it, Tula Pink, Denyse Schmidt, Carolyn Friedlander and, of course, some Kona solids and I’m hoping to have it finished by the end of the week. If you like it and would like a chance to win it you’ll have to hop on Instagram and follow me…
This quilt has been in use for a while already, half quilted and unbound. I put it on the bed, just to see how it would look after I stitched in the ditch. There were still safety pins in it but that didn’t disturb Charlie in the least and he had his nap on it.
It stayed on the following day too and the day after that. Then I took it off and started quilting the pebbles. I can’t really call them circles as most of them are anything but round. Because they’re quite big I kept hitting my hand on the machine resulting in very wonky pebbles. Now, if this quilt had been for anyone else I would have ripped out all the stitches and done some straight line quilting but as it was always meant for me (it was made with the first fat quarter bundle I bought: Echo by Lotta Jansdotter) I thought it would be fun to continue and see if the quilting would improve. It did, a little.
I started hand quilting the churn dashes but then didn’t really like the look and instead quilted them half an inch from the edge with my walking foot. As I was showing my mum the quilt I realised that I’d forgotten to sew around one of the insides. I may go back and do it one day but maybe not. It’s quite fun to have a quilt that isn’t perfect. Apart from the fabric and thread, that is.
Charlie was on my case while I was quilting and when I was sitting in the evening hand sewing the binding to the back, which by the way is Pearl Bracelets. Wherever the quilt was, Charlie was. It now resides on my bed again and Charlie is happily sleeping on it!
The quilt finished at 53″ x 68″ after washing and is perfect for snuggling and sleeping under. I pieced it with Aurifil 50wt (2600) and quilted it with a gorgeous variegated Aurifil 40wt (4669) in various shades of cream and blue.
This is another finish on my Finish-A-Long list, number four to be exact. I feel the need to take another picture of this quilt, maybe down by the lake, as this one was taken in the evening in lousy light.
I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to test another foundation paper piecing pattern designed by Juliet from Tartankiwi. This time it was a polka dot brontosaurus.
I used purple again as this is Little Miss Bossy-Boots’ favourite colour at the moment. There were a couple of nail-biting moments when I first realised that I didn’t have enough of the lighter purple colour I used for the legs and then thought I was going to run out of lilac polka dots before finishing the brontosauruses ample bottom. The first predicament was solved by piecing together two smaller pieces thus adding another seam in the foot. To be honest, I don’t think anyone would notice if I hadn’t mentioned it so I don’t mind at all. I’m just grateful I didn’t have to start again. In the end I had just enough polka dot fabric as I found another small piece hiding under a few bits of blue which I could use for part of the tail. Note to self: Make sure you have more fabric than you think you need!
Now I need to turn it into a cushion cover and add it to the mountain of cushions that are already making our life on the sofa far too comfortable. Not today, though, as Little Miss Bossy-Boots had a rough night with two night terrors and my eyes are drooping as I write these words.
I will let you know as soon as Juliet has added the pattern to her Craftsy shop.
Edited to add: You can find the pattern here.