I normally would answer ‘yes’ to that question as, to be honest, I simply haven’t got enough pins to fill that I have made and received. However, despite having a million and one pin cushions, the one next to my machine seems to vanish on a regular basis. I had a brainwave this week and made another pin cushion after all. One that won’t disappear; one that is attached to my sewing machine.
I literally whipped that up in about ten minutes, using a cheapo ribbon and popper to attach it to the machine.
I’ve already used it to sew another one as I thought I would write a quick tutorial on how I made it (I’m sure you can imagine how I made it but sometimes it’s just nice to not have to think about measurements and construction). Imagine my embarrassment when I managed to cut the ties too short. What is it they say ‘measure twice, cut once’? More like ‘measure once, cut twice’ in this house. So the tutorial will have to wait till next week when Little Miss Bossy-Boots is in Kindergarten.
For this pin cushion I’ve added a little scissors holder (a very fancy description for a piece of ribbon attached to the tie) as those seem to go walkabouts all of the time too.
I bought a little espresso cup without saucer at the charity shop for 50 Rp (about 35p). Not because I drink espresso; no, just because I thought it was cute.
Then I added some mirror ball dots and ended up with a sweet pin cushion which I gave to my sister.
I bought another espresso cup with roses on. Hmmm, I might have to make another pin cushion….
Goodness, I can hardly remember when I last wrote a post for this blog. However, the cobwebs have well and truly been dusted off and I’m excited to share lots of new makes with you.
First, is a cushion I’d promised Little Miss Bossy-Boots ages ago. She’s gone off the pink and wanted more purple in her room so I bought some lovely Kaffe Fassett’s and made her a Dresden plate cushion. Everything was going really well until I decided to hand quilt it. Hand quilting is hard on your hands so I put it away for a while before finally finishing it yesterday.
I added some free motion quilted pebbles to the centre and some leaf shapes to the background. The cushion was pieced and quilted with Aurifil 50wt (2024); for the hand quilting I used some Perle cotton but the very fine one. Could it be a 12? I’m not sure.
Next is a quilt to go with the cushion. I’ve already started cutting the fabrics and I’m adding lots of other colours to the mix. This is going to be a big quilt that will, hopefully, last the Little Miss a long time so I don’t want it to be too restricted colour wise.
I love all of Kate Spain’s fabric lines and would buy every single one of them if I had more money. I did, however, buy a charm pack of ‘Good Fortune’ two years ago. Some of those charms were used in my first ever foundation paper pieced project, the double ring of flying geese, Lynne taught at the first Fat Quarterly Retreat and which ended as a cushion.
Some more charms were used to make this cushion. I do apologise for the quality of the pictures. It’s a grey and miserable day here today.
This time I decided to play around with the quilting as I really want to become more confident at free motion quilting. I decided to quilt a grid in the centre simply following the seams using an Aurifil 50wt (5006), do some pebbling on the orange border with some Aurifil 40wt (2150) and a leaf pattern in the blue border with my favourite variegated Aurifil 40wt (4654).
My pebbles are definitely pebbles and not circles and some of my leaves have been visited by caterpillars but I love the textures and imperfections and can’t wait to do some more free motion quilting on my Heron Log Cabin which is up next.
I have found that for me the ideal speed at which to free motion quilt is a snails pace. That’s alright, though, it becomes quite relaxing when you go that slowly.
This is my first finish on this quarter’s Finish Along list.